Saturday, May 26, 2007

Meguk: cultural differences

Meguk is what they call Americans over here. I am therefore a Meguk. In the US you don't think anything of it when you meet someone of another race than yourself (unless you've got some odd problem you need to deal with). Today when I was riding the subway sitting between my sister and her husband, and I looked up from my book I noticed something that to me was odd. Three Korean children staring at us as if we were the oddest thing they had ever seen. Not in a bad way, mind you, just in a curious way. I smiled at one of the little boys and he hid behind his mother a little. My sister said that's happed before and I found it kind of humorous. When you get out of the tourist areas and stuff and into the real city you may be the first American a child like that sees, or in my case the first white person.

Note: have you ever noticed how weird a person speaking another language fluently sounds when you have no idea what they're saying? now think of this, we sound just as weird to them....

No comments: